Monday, November 16, 2009

First Prayer Quilt

I've been working on my first prayer quilt for my pastor, Kelly's, mom, Kay. Kay is going through some difficult chemo treatments for cancer right now. She will be the first, hopefully of many, to receive a prayer quilt from our congregation.

Kelly said her favorite color is blue. I did most of this with blues from my stash, plus a couple of extra fat quarters. It's my own variation of a disappearing nine patch.....Yesterday I took the quilt to church & everyone had an opportunity to tie it. When each person took their turn tying, they offered up a prayer for Kay.
Even the little girls got in on the act...
You can see that the men tied too. Here are Pastor Kelly and her daughter Kelsey (hidden, you can see her pink sleeve!) signing their names after they tied...

And my son Steve....
I think everyone really felt good about participating. Several women offered me fabric and a couple offered to help sew! So a new ministry is born. Today I am finishing up the quilt with binding. I will show you how it turns out later in the week.

4 comments:

Amy said...

What a beautiful quilt and how thoughtful.

Lauranie said...

How AWESOME!! The quilt is beautiful and how inspiring that so many participated in tying it!!

Melanie said...

Wow what a blessing you did and what an amazing idea.

Lora said...

that is amazing!!! I know that God was so pleased with you for doing that!
lora