Sunday, October 3, 2010

Gluten free feast!

I have been anxiously awaiting the arrival of this cookbook! Last week I found it at Barnes & Noble.
You may remember that I have a great love for Shauna James Ahern's blog. Her writing style is so great. & she gets me. Just sayin. If you want to know more about my personal gluten free journey, you can read this post here. I'm not going to go on & on about that again. But the cookbook..... wow. It reads like a good love story! And the food! Yummmm

Earlier in the week I headed to Sprouts to get the ingredients for a couple of recipes. Hubby & I had decided we would make the potato puree & the pan-seared beef tenderloin with port sauce & balsamic onions. I also got the ingredients to try the bread recipe, but have not tackled that one yet.

I tried to follow the ingredient lists to a tea, but had to make a few adjustments. First off, the beef! Sprouts had some lovely beef tenderloin medallions, but to get 8 of them, which is what the recipe called for for 4 people (and we would have eaten!) would have been nearly $50! Not in the food budget. So I bought some lovely sirloins instead. Also, I bought chicken stock instead of veal.

I am not a huge fan of onions, but let me tell you, these balsamic onions were so sweet & delicious!

 Another switch. We decided to grill the steaks instead of pan searing them. They tasted as good as they look here!
 Check out these potatoes! The best mashed potatoes I have ever had in my life. Let me tell you, always before making mashed potatoes meant buying some basic Idaho potatoes, boiling them up, dumping in some (cold) mild & mashing. Never again. The Yukon Gold potatoes are so much more flavourful. Warming the milk (whole milk) and cream made all the difference & using real butter (instead of the fake stuff in the plastic tub!), and fresh chives on top. HOLY COW! I could have just eaten mashed potatoes all night.....
 Let's just say the teens in the house were happy with this dinner too. Here's my plate all served up.....
and yes, I did have a second serving of the potatoes. This cookbook is not going to help my waistline or my pocketbook but man was this food GOOD!

This next week I promise to make a loaf of bread to share with you.... and find another yummy recipe to try on my family!

4 comments:

Darling Jill Quilts said...

That looks just so yummy!!! I'm glad that you enjoyed it! :)

Shauna said...

This makes us so happy to see! We love you made the dish your own.

Aren't those mashed potatoes amazing? After I had Danny's potatoes, I could never go back to the old way. I bet Thanksgiving is going to be great this year.

Thank you for all your kind words.

Melissa said...

Those mashed potatoes do look yummy - we love using the Yukon Gold potatoes, too.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Yukon Golds... my faves for mashed taters! Never warmed the milk though. I'll have to give that trick a try.