Wednesday, April 20, 2011

I have a lot to learn....

I love to make a little something for my friends for their birthdays. Last year I bought a panel with loads of these little cupcake blocks. I have finally brought it out & cut it up. I am making little mini birthday quilts with it. The first one I just did a grid of diagonal lines to quilt it. Warming up.... Then I took a deep breath, lowered my feed dogs & tried a little stippling. Now, mind you, I have never done this before. I have watched friends, watched you-tube videos, read blogs, books and magazines about free motion quilting but none of this gives you the skill. Trust me on this.

You probably can't tell in this picture (ok, maybe you can, but thanks for being sweet & not leaving me nasty comments about it!) but the one on the left was my first attempt. The stitch lengths are all over the place, tiny tiny to ummm, gigantic. After some reading & practice I think this is mostly due to inconsistent speed. Or maybe not. Who knows.... all I know is the more I do it, the more consistent it gets. Whew! Sample number 2, on the right, is a bit better. However, I am not happy with the jerky shapes I created. I want it all to be smooth & fluid. Sigh.


Suggestions welcome!


5 comments:

Maria said...

Your cupcake minis look good. I still get BIG stitches and tiny ones. It's okay. I have fun and that is all that matters so keep stippling.

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

First... LOVE that panel with the cupcakes. CUTE!! And I'm the same way. Teeny-tiny to HUGE stitches. It's all about speed and practice. I'm terrible at it so that's why I leave it to the "pros". LOL! But keep practicing... it will come easier.

Melissa said...

I just have to say that first attempt (the one with the yellow border) looks great to me, but if it really bothers you, I'll be happy to take it off your hands and hang it in my scrappin' room where I can contemplate it further! :>) Seriously, they look great - way to go for trying something new.

Sally said...

I think they both look great! I'm not so great at stippling...and I have a stitch regulator that beeps at me when I'm going too fast, and it's never turned out perfect. The good news is that the people I am gifting to don't really know or care that it's "perfect", so I think I'm okay.

Sewjoe said...

Ellyn,I heard drinking wine and playing classical music really helps. Ha! They look great and I love them! I don't remember you getting that panel...where was I? Practice, practice, practice.