Tuesday, May 31, 2011

another little dress and pattern review

Ally and I headed out to Joann Fabric yesterday morning, since the coupons were so awesome! We decided to make a patriotic little dress for Mackenzie. Ally is going to see her the end of June and she wants some little clothes to take along. This is what I ended up making... Yup! Bought, cut & stitched all in one day. It came out very cute. The pattern I used is Simplicity 4203. The Simplicity patterns were only a dollar yesterday! What a deal.



All in all I liked the pattern a lot. I made the view B dress, which is a lot fuller than it looks on the pattern cover. The skirt is actually two layers of ruffling. Not my favorite thing to do, gathering ruffles, but it went very smoothly. I wish the bodice had been fully lined (if I make this again, I will find a way to do that) but the facings went in nicely and I am happy with the end result. I'm planning to try out the other views on the pattern too. At first I had thought I would make a pair of little navy shorts to go underneath, but the dress is really quite long.... probably not necessary. I might make them anyways, just for kicks. Little girls are not known for being terribly ladylike in dresses, after all!


I also cut into these fabrics yesterday...


I'm going to stitch them into a summery quilt. I'll keep you posted on my progress! All in all, a productive Monday, don't you think?

3 comments:

Maria said...

Mackenzies dress is so cute. Gathering was never my favorite thing either but found it I stitched two rows of large stitch it was easier.
You have same ripper fabrics.

Lisa said...

Mackenzies dress is gorgeous and so are those summer fabrics.. very productive for a Monday!

PunkiePie (Jen) said...

Cute cute cute!! Joann's coupons were pretty good? Hmmmm. I don't know if I got mine in the mail. Or maybe I did and threw them out so I wouldn't be tempted to shop. VERY possible. Your summer quilt is going to be super cute! I can't wait to see it!