Tuesday, August 28, 2012

back to school sewing (for me!)

Yesterday was the first day of school for Ally.... Junior year of High School! GO ALLY! Here's her first day of school photo shot...

 It's so cool, I say goodbye and she hops in her car and drives herself to school. Then she texts me the minute she's there safely because I'm neurotic and need to know. Then I go back to bed. No, not really. But I am still in my pjs! And this morning, pjs and all, I headed straight to my sewing room to make myself a shirt. This is the pattern I picked up at Joanns yesterday...
McCalls 6566.  I bought it for several reasons. 1) It looked quick and easy. 2) it didn't have any buttons, buttonholes, zippers (and you know I am capable of doing all of those things but I just didn't feel like it. So there.) and 3) I thought if I made it I would look as skinny and sexy as those babes on the cover. Ok, maybe not. And you certainly won't be seeing me in tight, zig zaggy pants like the girl on the right! But she does pull it off nicely.

I will tell you that I had the shirt entirely put together (including cutting out the TWO yes TWO pieces!) in about 30 minutes. Simple! I made the plain view (B) but left off the little pocket, just so I could see how it fit. View C has an adorable ruffly flounce on the back (because we all need a little emphasis in that area, don't you think? ) and A has a cute lace panel on the front. I will most likely make this again.

It fits very loosely. They always say that and then the finished tops end up being snug on me. I measured myself and made the correct size and it's, um, big. I will probably make it one size smaller next time. Anyways, here it is finished...

 I used a lightweight drapy cotton. The pattern says it will work in woven or knits... the woven is just fine. It does look cute on me even though it's, um, big. I tried to take a picture of myself in the mirror to show you but that didn't go so well...
and yes, that's a laundry basket behind me on the bed. My staging and photography skills need a little work I think.

What did you make today?

4 comments:

Maria said...

Enjoy your new year at school Ally. How good you can drive yourself.
I just love sewing in my Jamas..

Nice shirt Ellyn..

Melissa said...

What a fun post to read & a cute new shirt! Love Ally's first day of school photo.

I've just stopped after almost 6 hours of working on retreat curriculum - oh my, it's a daunting task, but God is good! I feel good about today's accomplishments . . . even if I don't have a new shirt to wear. :>)

prsd4tim2 said...

Isn't it nice when they can {finally} drive themselves to school? And yes, I made my daughter call the minute she got there too. She complained to high heaven and I just said, you can call me or you can give me your car keys. She called (well, ok - texted). Every day. For two years. I finally got over it. And she's married now, so that would be just a touch too neurotic - even for me.

I went and bought a whole bunch of patterns to sew stuff for me and then came home and started quilting. As much as I love them, I can't wear them. But I have good intentions. Maybe I need that pattern and its TWO pieces.

Sally said...

I have several sewing patterns for things to make for myself, I just haven't seemed to have gotten around to making them yet (there's always a couple other projects to finish first...)