Thursday, November 19, 2015

Intrepid thread challenge

In September I signed up for a fabric challenge over at Intrepid Thread. By the time the fabric came I had forgotten all about it! Ha. The fabric sat on my table for quite a long time waiting for me to be inspired. Suddenly, yesterday, I knew what I wanted to do! 
I worked all day and this little pillow came to life! I made a patchwork background from the mini charm pack we received, then used the other 2 fabrics to appliqué some orange peels. I had cut enough orange peels to do every square, but when I started to edit, and remove some, I liked it better! Sometimes less is more. 


I had enough cotton and steel fabric to do the back, with a little binding of the arrow fabric and a touch of ricrac peeking out, because, RICRAC! duh!
I wasn't sure where I'd put it, I mean, aqua goes ANYWHERE, right? But the pink was throwing me off. Then I put it on the living room chair for a photo op and it looked so awesome there with my Spice of Life afghan! So, I do believe that's where it will stay. For now....
Perfect spot to curl up with a good book I think!

8 comments:

~Niki~ said...

perfect! cute.

Ondrea said...

Gee, you are so clever. I love your cushion. It does look rather nice on that chair with the crocheted rug. Well done girl!

Debbie said...

Super cute! I really like the design you came up with!

Maria said...

I am not really a pink girl but your pillow looks lovely and just perfect on your chair with the beautiful afghan...

Chantal said...

What a lovely cushion cover Ellyn. I love orange peels. Did you raw edge appliqué or use the interfacing method? Love the colors and yes, it looks lovely with your SOL CAL.

Julie said...

This is gorgeous! I love Orange Peels in all their forms. Thanks for participating.

Megan said...

I like to read about how this came together. It's great to be open to changing things as you go to come to the final product. And the final product here is sure cute. And it's in a perfect spot. :)

Afton Warrick said...

Editing really upped the design factor here. Awesome pillow!