Monday, March 14, 2016

weaving finishes

I'm learning so much about my loom and what I can do with it! My friend Annie sent me some beautiful hand dyed yarn for my birthday. At first I thought I would crochet something with it, because I was afraid my weaving wasn't up to par with this amazing yarn. But, it really did cry out to be woven and finally I gave in...
The yarn is a wonderful, soft, washable wool. I used a solid gray warp in a similar weight wool yarn and it wove up so beautifully! Of course, today it was 85 degrees outside, so who knows when I will get to wear it!
After posting my first set of dishtowels, my friend Kathie suggested I try weaving with a denser warp. This is best done on a rigid heddle loom by using 2 heddles. So I ordered a second 10 dent heddle and (thank you internet and awesome books) figured out how to warp my loom with double heddles.
It was quite a process but I did it! And the towels I wove this second time? WAY better than the first! The fabric is denser and more evenly woven. Here is one of the original towels on the left and a new towel on the right...
The second set is still not perfect (with the double heddles it's very hard to get a clean shed and I have quite a few threads that are floating but I'm happy!)

4 comments:

Sally said...

I'm really not sure what all of the weaving words mean, but your towels look great! I was at a quilt retreat over the weekend, at a retreat center run by Dominican nuns. In the retreat center, they have some small rooms, and one of them is set up with yarns/threads and loom(s) and there is at least one nun that goes in there to weave (though I didn't see anyone over the weekend). They have a little gift shop and they sometimes have some of the weavings for sale. I meant to buy something, but somehow forgot.

Debbie said...

love those kitchen towels!

Maria said...

I think you are very clever Ellyn to get your head around using your loom... I can see that the second dish cloth is a closer weave.....

Ondrea said...

You are becoming quite the expert! Love your scarf and the towels are so nice. Love those colours.