Thursday, June 29, 2017

Improv bridges

It happened again. I woke up Monday morning with an idea in my head and had to set right to work! Inspired by these two pictures I took in San Francisco, one of the Golden Gate Bridge and one of the Bay Bridge, I wanted to try my hand at improv piecing and recreate them in a quilt.
I had some scraps of my hand dyed fabric leftover from my Hashtag quilt, and thought they would work perfectly. I didn't measure anything, I just started cutting and piecing.
My first bridge came out pretty good, so I did another from the same photo
Then two of the Bay bridge. Never did get a solo shot of the fourth block!
I trimmed the blocks so they were all the same height (7 inches) and squared them up to different widths. Added sashing strips in between and ended up with a 13" square topper.

Since I was already stretching myself, I decided to do some wavy line quilting with my walking foot (also outside of my box!) and I'm so glad I did! Bound in the same steel gray I used in my hashtag quilt and this baby is done! I learned a lot and feel really good about my first real foray into unguided improv quilting. 








5 comments:

Goofin' Off Around the Block said...

That is a fantastic little finish. You are so creative.

Debbie said...

I love these kind of projects! You did such a great job with your improv!

Ondrea said...

How clever! You are always up for a challenge and you always come up smiling. I wonder what you will dream up next😊

Chantal said...

Very fun! You totally nailed it. I can see the bridges. Clever girl!

Maria said...

What amazing design you did of the two bridges...